Steven M. Schuetze
Steven Schuetze has worked at Shernoff Bidart Echeverria, LLP since 2006, working on a variety of insurance bad faith and serious personal injury/wrongful death cases.
Mr. Schuetze was admitted to the State Bar of California in 1989, and the State Bar of Washington in 1990. He has briefed and argued over twenty appeals, including matters before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals as well as the Second, Fourth, and Sixth Appellate Districts of the California Court of Appeals.
Mr. Schuetze has also been a lead trial attorney in jury trials in Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego, and Alameda Counties, and participated in numerous arbitrations. Mr. Schuetze has prevailed on dozens of motions for summary judgment, and has been the lead writer on law and motion briefing on numerous cases that have resulted in substantial verdicts.
Mr. Schuetze began his career at an insurance defense firm, specializing in insurance subrogation matters. In 1999, he joined the law firm of Good, West & Schuetze. At that firm, Mr. Schuetze handled catastrophic injury cases including quadriplegia, paraplegia, and brain damage, as well as wrongful death cases.
Mr. Schuetze attended Pepperdine University School of Law, graduating cum laude in the top 5% of his class in 1989. While at Pepperdine, Mr. Schuetze was a member of the Pepperdine Law Review and received American Jurisprudence Awards in Civil Pleading & Procedure and Conflicts of Laws. Mr. Schuetze obtained his undergraduate degree from the University of Washington, after graduating as the valedictorian from his high school.
Mr. Schuetze is actively involved as a volunteer for youth sports. He is a past President of the Glendora National Little League, and was a Board Member and coach for many years. Additionally, Mr. Schuetze also founded and organized the Glendora Challenger Division, which allows children with mental and physical challenges to play adaptive baseball. For contributions and services to youth sports in Glendora, Mr. Schuetze and several others involved in Glendora Challenger baseball received Glendora’s 2016 Kirkpatrick Award.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance bad faith litigation
- Governmental tort liability
- Serious Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Malibu, California, 1989; J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Honors: top 5%
- Law Review: Member, Pepperdine Law Review
- University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 1986; B.A., Bachelor of Arts
- “Insurers are prohibited from communicating misleading replacement cost estimates” Forum, Consumer Attorneys of California, January/February 2018
- “There should have been a stop sign” – The tools to defeat defendant’s motions based on statutory defenses for a dangerous condition of public property” The Advocate, March 2014 and Plaintiff, June 2014
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
- Consumer Attorneys of Inland Empire Chapter
- Orange County Trial Lawyer’s Association
- California, 1989
- Washington, 1990
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeal
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- Past President of Glendora National Little League
- Founder of Glendora Challenger Division (adaptive baseball for children with physical and mental challenges)
- 2016 Glendora Kirkpatrick Award winner for Glendora Challenger Division
- Lector and Catechist for St. Dorothy Catholic Church
Contact Steven M. Schuetze at firstname.lastname@example.org